Tomato, Texas

History

Tomato was about three miles east of Admiral in eastern Callahan County, when it was established on January 13, 1893, as a post office. Charles C. French was made postmaster and ran the post office from his house. The post office was discontinued there on March 11, 1898, and was moved to Admiral. Although the post office was moved in 1898, people remained in the area of Tomato. According to some sources there was a cotton gin and at least three other stores (although the nature of their business is unknown) around 1906. By the 1930s the community was not listed on county maps. Source: Handbook of Texas Onine.

Tomato is designated on the map above from 1901.