Dudley, Texas

History

Dudley, on Farm Road 1178 in western Callahan County, was founded in 1893 and named for its first postmaster and storekeeper, Nicholas M. Dudley. The community did not grow and lost its post office in 1912. In 1940 it had thirty-five people, three stores, a church, and a school. The town's grocery store was a community gathering place and the site of domino, croquet, and softball games. At one time there were three churches in Dudley. In 1980, 1990, and 2000 the reported population was twenty-five. Source: Handbook of Texas Online.

Cemeteries

Dudley Cemetery >>

Schools

Dudley School

Dudley School Quilt from 1932 from colhollywood.com. The quilt was made by students and residents of Dudley for their teachers, David and Anna when they married in 1932. Names of Dudley residents are embroidered on the quilt.