Caddo Peak, Texas

History

Caddo Peak was about sixteen miles from Putnam and five miles northwest of Cross Plains near the Cottonwood area in southeastern Callahan County. It was settled in 1870 and received a post office in 1878. This was discontinued in December 1881 but reinstated in November 1882. By 1884 the community had three churches and a district school as well as three general stores, a flour mill, and a physician. From about 1880 through 1900 the community's population remained at about fifty. By 1897 Caddo Peak consisted of a general store, a blacksmith shop, a cotton gin, and a local school with twenty-eight students and one teacher. In March 1907 the post office was discontinued permanently. A 1936 map shows scattered residences and a cemetery in the area; a 1989 map shows only the cemetery. Source: Handbook of Texas Online.

Cemeteries

Caddo Peak Cemetery >>