Cross Plains Cemetery Historical Marker Closeup

Cross Plains Cemetery Historical Marker Closeup

A close up of the new Historical Marker at Cross Plains Cemetery (Cross Plains Memorial Park).

Cross Plains Cemetery.  Situated on a flat area near the edge of town, the Cross Plains Cemetery is the final resting place for the town's key leaders and families.  The land, originally granted to James Knight, one of Stephen F. Austin's original colonists for service in the Mexican-American War, passed to several absentee landowners.  The first burial was the son of Uncle Johnnie Lard (Laird) in 1882.  In 1905, Thomas F. Steele and his sister, Annie Parsons (Steele) Eager, deeded the land to cemetery trustees.  Many military veterans are buried here, along with all of the original cemetery trustees, Cross Plains' first mayor, John A. Wagner, and members of numerous fraternal organizations.  Historic Texas Cemetery, 2005. - Historical Marker Text.  Marker erected May 2014.