Old Cottonwood Cemetery

Also known as Cottonwood East Cemetery

Location

From Baird, take I-20 East to the FM2228 exit. Turn right on FM2228 and follow the road about 19 miles to Cottonwood.  At Cottonwood the road will fork, take the right fork to go into Cottonwood.  You will be on CR 429.  Cross FM1079 in front of the old Cottonwood Post Office.  Follow CR 429 about 1/2 mile and take the first road to the left.  The cemetery is aat the end of the road.

From Cross Plains, take Hwy 206 north past the high school and turn left on FM880.  Follow FM 880 about 6 miles until FM1079 splits off of FM880.  Take FM1079 into Cottonwood and turn left in front of the old Cottonwood Post Office on to CR429. Follow CR 429 about 1/2 mile and take the first road to the left.  The cemetery is at the end of the road.

Historical Marker

Old Cottonwood Cemetery. For his military service with the Republic of Texas, George Washington Glasscock, Sr. (1810-68) received a land grant incorporating the future settlement of Cottonwood. His will conveyed this land to his daughter, Sarah Jane Glasscock Hall, whose husband, Phidello William Hall, was a Texas Legislator (1870-74). In 1875, J. W. Love visited Cottonwood Springs near the headwaters of Green Briar Creek and homesteaded here. The land was well suited for farming, and the community of Cottonwood soon boasted several businesses, churches, a Christian academy, a post office, and two newspapers. In 1884, Sarah Jane and P. W. Hall donated land for the Cottonwood Cemetery, as well as land for Union Baptist and Methodist Churches. The burial ground was already in use, with the first known graves including infants dating from 1877. Cottonwood was noted for frontier violence; friends George Franks and Tom Jones who killed each other in Dec. 1882 are buried in a common grave. P. W. Hall died in 1888 and is buried here; Sarah Jane Hall is believed to be buried here too but her grave has not been identified. Prof. J. H. Yonley, founder of Cottonwood’s Yonley Polytechnic Institute, is also interred here. The cemetery includes graves of veterans dating from the Texas War for Independence. Droughts, lack of rail transportation, and a return to ranching led to a population decline in Cottonwood. The cemetery contains several hundred graves and is a chronicle of generations of families who contributed to the progress of the community. Historic Texas Cemetery – 2003.  – Historical Marker Text.  Marker erected 2012.

Transcriptions and Photos

Old Cottonwood Cemetery Graves at findagrave.com.  Over 430 graves listed.