Cross Plains Memorial Park

Cross Plains Memorial Park, formerly Cross Plains CemeteryAlso known as Cross Plains Cemetery

Location

From the Cross Plains Dairy Queen on Main Street go north on Main Street (FM 880) three blocks and turn left (west) at the bank. The cemetery will be about three blocks at the end of the road.

Cross Plains Cemetery Historical Marker  Cross Plains Cemetery Historical Marker CloseupHistorical Marker

Cross Plains Cemetery.  Situated on a flat area near the edge of town, the Cross Plains Cemetery is the final resting place for the town's key leaders and families.  The land, originally granted to James Knight, one of Stephen F. Austin's original colonists for service in the Mexican-American War, passed to several absentee landowners.  The first burial was the son of Uncle Johnnie Lard (Laird) in 1882.  In 1905, Thomas F. Steele and his sister, Annie Parsons (Steele) Eager, deeded the land to cemetery trustees.  Many military veterans are buried here, along with all of the original cemetery trustees, Cross Plains' first mayor, John A. Wagner, and members of numerous fraternal organizations.  Historic Texas Cemetery, 2005. - Historical Marker Text.  Marker erected May 2014.  Marker dedication to be held at a later date.

Transcriptions and Photos

Cross Plains Memorial Park Transcription from Cross Plains Cemetery Assn.

Cross Plains Memorial Park Transcription from Ann Beeler

Cross Plains Cemetery Transcription from the USGenWeb Archives

Cross Plains Cemetery Transcription from Cemeteries-of-Texas

Cross Plains Memorial Park Photos from the Texas Tombstone Project

Cross Plains Memorial Park Graves at findagrave.com.  Over 2600 graves listed.